Fire Buffs promote the general welfare of the fire and rescue service and protect its heritage and history. Famous Fire Buffs through the years include New York Fire Surgeon Harry Archer, Boston Pops Conductor Arthur Fiedler, New York Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia and - legend has it - President George Washington.

Ready to roll from Springfield Fire Headquarters on North Fountain Avenue

Thursday, December 06, 2007




Early 20th Century post card of old Central Engine House and the city's first motorized engine. (The firefighter seated closest to the camera appears to be Fire Chief Samuel Hunter.)


SFD web site photo of Truck 5 at house fire on Pleasant Street in November 2007.




Photo: Springfield News Sun

On Dec. 5, 2007, firefighters rescued a cat from a fire that started at the Burt Street Coal Co. and spread to nearby homes, the Springfield News-Sun reported. The flames were fueled by winds of up to 35 m.p.h. ``The Norfolk Southern Railroad company stopped running trains near the fires to allow fire crews access to additional hydrants on the far side of tracks,'' according to the newspaper. There were no injuries.


Arson caused a house fire that killed a 25-year-old woman on South Sweetbriar Lane on May 9, 2008, the Springfield New-Sun reported on May 22. Assistant Chief Nick Heimlich of the Springfield Fire and Rescue Division said: "As an investigator, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was arson.''


On Jan. 30, 2008, high levels of carbon monoxide were detected at a home on South Limestone Street, sending six adults and two children to Springfield Regional Medical Center for testing, the Springfield News-Sun reported.

The house tested at 50 ppm of carbon monoxide. "We walked in the building and our monitors went into alarm immediately," Springfield Fire Division Lt. Doug Buffenbarger told the newspaper. "Anything greater than 35 (ppms), we have them evacuate immediately."


On Jan. 25, 2006, fire swept a house at 623 West North Street, killing Patrick A. Wright, 56, his dog and his three cats. "I looked out and saw the whole front room on fire," neighbor Sandy Gootee told the Springfield News-Sun. "I thought, 'Oh my God,' so I called 911 because all I could think about was him being in there." Assistant Fire Chief Nick Heimlich said some of the doors were bolted shut, according to the newspaper.