Photo: Champaign County Historical Society
On Jan. 20, 1948, fire destroyed the Champaign County Courthouse in Urbana, Ohio - and it took a decade to build a replacement.
According to Wikipedia:
"With no money in the budget for construction, several ballots were voted on to raise funds but were all defeated.
"A group of citizens campaigned for a final bond which passed with a sum of $650,000.
"This was not enough so the county officials decided to pay for the cost to equip the courthouse out of the county's fund which left restricted spending for several years."
The new building was dedicated June 8, 1957.